The China Wind Energy Association (CWEA) has released wind industry statistics for the year 2021. The report reveals several interesting statistics and takeaways:
- China installed 55.92 GW of new wind capacity in 2021.
- The top three wind turbine manufacturers were Goldwind, Envision, and Mingyang.
- The wind turbine market is concentrated, with the top 5 manufacturers capturing nearly 70 % of the market.
- Wind turbines are getting bigger. The average size of offshore and onshore wind turbines reached 5.6 MW and 3.1 MW, respectively, compared to 4.9 MW and 2.6 MW the year before.
- New installed capacity is getting more evenly distributed across regions. While existing wind installed capacity is mostly concentrated in the north of China (in particular Inner Mongolia), some southern provinces are catching up. The provinces that have installed the most in 2021 are Guangdong and Jiangsu, partly due to their high offshore wind activity, with more than 5 GW each.